Monday 23 April 2012

Tulips from Amsterdam

Friday's post was all about a quintessentially South African flower and today's post is about flowers again. This time the quintessentially Dutch tulip. Why? Well, because I head off for a two week holiday to Holland on Friday.
On the top of my list of things I wanted to see was Keukenhof- the Dutch tulip gardens.
Those colourful stripes you see are tulips. As far as the eye can see, in every single colour you can think of. Even black.
Keukenhof is in Lisse, Holland which is near Amsterdam. They are only open for a short period every year when the bulbs are in bloom. According to their website, there are 7 million bulbs in bloom. 
I am mad about flowers. I have a collection of photos from throughout my childhood, where I have handfulls of flowers.
These are a little blurry and old but you get the picture.

 I also have a photo from my university graduation where I have a flower between my teeth, but that's a whole other story.
I cannot wait to see what seven million flowers look like.



No comments:

Post a Comment