Thursday 26 April 2012

Jewellery to make your heart sigh- Eric Loubser

South Africa has a wealth of really talented jewellery designers. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because of the gold rush or all the precious metals we're sitting on, but our jewellery designers are amazing.
I hadn't really heard about Eric Loubser until earlier this year his Bird Necklace was nominated as one of the most beautiful objects in South Africa at the Design Indaba.
I was writing a story about the ten objects for the paper I work at, and when the public relations lady sent me the pictures of this necklace, my jaw hit the floor.
I'm going to assume that anyone who didn't say "Holy Moly" or something similar when they saw that picture is blind. You would have to be, because this is a thing of absolute beauty.
It kind of reminds me of that nursery rhyme "four and twenty black birds baked in a pie". Only these blackbirds are too pretty to hide in a pie.
Eric Loubser says on his website that he makes one of a kind pieces, using materials like silver, gold platinum, semi-precious stones, diamonds and even found objects.
I love the detail in this piece. I think it's a pendent, but I can't be sure. I love the little couple in the middle. It's like they're sitting there in this beautiful piece of jewellery waiting to grow old together, don't you think?
There is something so Donny Darko about this ring. It walks that delightful line between sweet and scary that I love so much.

You can view more of Eric Loubser's work here.




No comments:

Post a Comment