Wednesday 25 July 2012

Look What I made Monday (On Wednesday)- Ceramic Door Knobs

It's been a crazy week and it's about to get crazier because the Mercedez Benz, Cape Town Fashion Week is in town, so I hope you forgive me for the lack of posts up on the blog lately.
I am covering fashion week for my day job and as such wont be able to put up a lot of content this week, but I'll try do a big old post on Monday with a wrap and all the details.
But back to this post.
I have been quietly collecting and stashing ceramic door knobs for my kitchen cupboards for a few months now. I had this crazy idea that I'd like a whole bunch of different ones in a bunch of different shapes and sizes. My kitchen has light oak cupboards and grey tile so is pretty neutral and could do with some sprucing up.

I needed 20-odd door handles so every time I had a spare bit of cash, I squirreled it away for door knobs. You'll be surprised at how hard it was to find warm toned ones though. Lots of greens and blues. A few pale pinks. But finally, the other day I spotted some dark coral ones in Poetry (where the majority of these actually come from) and then my collection was complete.
The previous knobs were just little round brass pulls and I don't particularly love brass. I would have preferred the finishings on the ceramic ones to have been silver to tie in to my blue/grey lounge but unfortunately most of these just come with bronze hardware bits.
So I set about with my screwdriver removing all the other ones. Only, I didn't remove them all. There are still five of the brass ones mixed in there because I can't seem to loosen the screws. They seem "soft" and when I turn the screwdriver in the grooves, bits of the screw actually come away.
I have tried trying to turn the actual knob until is comes off but that hasn't worked for me either.
So as much as I'd like to show you a whole kitchen shot to see how cute it all looks, I'm afraid I can't. Not until someone gives me a hint on how to remove those last five pesky brass ones!
In the meantime, here's an out of focus, blue spotty one:
But, in the meantime, please enjoy my recently repainted and re-ceiling-ed lounge.
The painting on the left it one of my boyfriend's artworks and the frame to the right is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, from Spineless Classics-the whole book printed in to one image- in this case, the winding yellow brick road.



No comments:

Post a Comment